Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lemon Chicken & Broccoli

Spring is getting closer and I'm so excited for warmer weather :) However I tried on my capris from last year and they're a little tight, because of that and since Nathan and I have a big trip coming up we decided we needed to start eating healthier! So we've both been cutting back on portion sizes and trying to cut out sweets (as much as possible). In the last 2 weeks for me and 5 days for Nathan we've both lost about 5 lbs :) Wahoo- I'm so proud of us. I can't wait to go swimming this summer!!!

I've mentioned before that Nathan LOVES lemon flavored food, so I figured this was going to be a winner and it was. I served it with brown rice (first time I used the rice cooker we received as a wedding gift- and it was perfect).

Lemon Chicken & Broccoli (from Weight Watchers only 9 points plus with 1/2 C of rice)

(Stolen from Weight Watchers website- I forgot to take pictures
-as always mine did not look like this but tasted great)

Ingredients



2 Tbsp all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp table salt, divided

1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground

12 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced

2 tsp olive oil

1 1/2 cup(s) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided

2 tsp minced garlic

2 1/2 cup(s) broccoli, small florets

2 tsp lemon zest, or more to taste

2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Instructions

  • On a plate, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pepper; add chicken and turn to coat.

  • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate.

  • Put 1 cup of broth and garlic in same skillet; bring to a boil over high heat, scrapping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Add broccoli; cover and cook 1 minute.

  • In a small cup, stir together remaining 1/2 cup of broth, 1/2 tablespoon of flour and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; add to skillet and bring to a simmer over low heat.

  • Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in chicken and lemon zest; heat through.

  • Remove skillet from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice; toss to coat. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
*One side note when I make this again I'm going to try lemon pepper in the flour instead of regular pepper. The chicken needed a little bit more flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment