Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Leftover Chicken and Homemade Tortillas

Yesterday was one of those days where I didn't want to put effort into cooking, but I recently made a goal to try to cook one new recipe a week. So I got my lazy behind in gear and opened my fridge to see what we had. As was expected it's pretty much empty-it's been a week since I've been grocery shopping so we're down to the bare bones. The only thing truly edible was grilled chicken from last night, so I turned to the cupboards to get some inspiration. After some searching and a bruised toe from dropping a can of beans, I finally came up with chicken tacos. Since the chicken was cooked I thought I'd be ambitious and try to make homemade tortillas (the recipe said it was easy and it was except for the part where the tortillas are suppose to be round).

First of all I figured I'd start with the rice. While I was preparing the rice cooker I had this great idea to cook the rice and beans together. I didn't have a recipe so I winged it. Here's what I did:

Rice Cooker Rice & Beans
(I'm so creative with names-don't you think?)
  • 2 cups White Rice
  • Water (I filled to the 2 line-read your rice cooker instructions to determine how much water to rice ratio)
  • 2 smashed Bouillon Cubes
  • 1/3 C Dried Onions
  • 1/4 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon Coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
  • 1 TBSP Lemon Juice
  • 1 can of Black Beans
Mix all ingredients together and cook according to your Rice Cooker's instructions. Mine took about 30 minutes to cook. Once it rings-fluff and serve!!!


I love rice cookers they are so easy and come in handy. The best part is with mine all I do is push a button and forget. Once it's done it will automatically switch to warming, so it will stay nice and warm until I'm ready for it :)

Flour Tortillas
This recipe came from Our Best Bites and they have an amazing tutorial w/lots of pictures on here. (Side note- if you don't have their cookbook you're missing out)

Here's how mine turned out. The most frustrating part was trying to get them to be circles. If you are a perfectionist I would recommend store bought tortillas :)


The recipe says the dough should be the consistency of play dough- I wasn't allowed to play with it as a kid (result of my mom being a bit of a clean freak-I'm sure I'll be the same way) so I wasn't sure what that consistency was. I just guessed.

I was so happy when I saw them bubbling :) I made Nathan come and look at them.


Here's the final result. I just added the grilled chicken, rice & beans, cheese and some green salsa. Yum!!! The rice & beans were lightly flavored so they didn't overpower the dish and the tortillas were worth the stress of trying to make them circular. Nathan said it was a keeper, however I may trick him by buying the uncooked tortillas from the store.

~Bobbi

No comments:

Post a Comment