Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cheesy Italian-Style Meatloaf

I stopped by the Our Best Bites cooking blog today, and came across this recent post "Rockin' Italian-Style Meatloaf".  So excited because I've been craving meatloaf for a few weeks now.  I was further in love with this recipe when I realized it was adapted from the Next Food Network Star Contestant Mary Beth Albright.  My husband and I LOVE watching this show (I probably like it more than he does-but he's great to watch it with me) and I've been dying to try some of the recipes.  Since Our Best Bites loved this meatloaf, it was a hit on the Next Food Network Star and I had all the ingredients, I figured it was a match made in meatloaf heaven! 

I've adapted it a little to fit our tastes so check out Our Best Bites for their version and Mary Beth Albright's version here.

 Cheesy Italian-Inspired Meatloaf
Adapted from Mary Beth Albright and Our Best Bites
my additions


Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with tin foil.


Mix the following ingredients in a sauce pan over low heat. Stir occasionally
  • 1 c. ketchup
  • 1 c. barbecue sauce (Use your favorite)
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard
  • 1 TSP Worcestershire Sauce
Add 1 TBSP olive oil to sauce pan and add the onion and garlic.  Cook until translucent. Then add parsley, basil, tomato paste, salt and pepper.  Cook for approximately 1 minute, stirring constantly then remove from heat and set aside.
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 c. fresh parsley
  • 1/3 c. chopped fresh basil
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Mix and set aside
  • 1 c. buttermilk
  • 1/3 c. panko bread crumbs (I used Italian style bread crumbs)
 Mix beef with the onion, garlic, tomato paste and herb mixture. Once combined add Parmesan Cheese, and buttermilk mixture.
  • 2 lbs  ground beef and/or pork (I like the taste of just beef, but you can add pork if desired)
  • 1/2 C parmesan cheese
Dump meat mixture onto a clean surface and flatten out into a rectangle.  Layer cheese down the middle of the meat and then roll the meat into a loaf (the cheese should be on the inside of the loaf). Place the meatloaf on the prepared pan and top with 1/2 of the barbeque sauce mixture. 

Cook for approximately 45-50 minutes.  Once cooked remove from the oven and brush with the leftover glaze.  Let the meatloaf cool for 5 minutes then serve.  
I hope you all enjoy this cheesy version of Italian Meatloaf.

~Bobbi

No comments:

Post a Comment