Friday, September 9, 2011

Creamy Lemon Soup


I know it sounds weird, I was skeptical at first too, but I decided what the heck I'll try it.  I had all of the ingredients and when I asked my husband what he wanted for lunch he said soup and a sandwich.  The sandwich part was easy, but I was stumped on the soup.  All I could come up with was something from a can and I really wanted something fresh, light and simple.  I browsed through some websites and I came to 50 soups from the Food Network.  I looked through the site and found only 1-2 that I had all of the ingredients for (I really need to go shopping), and since my husband loves anything with lemon I figured I'd be brave and try it out.  I'm so glad I did it was DELICIOUS and filling.  I never knew that eggs can make a soup light and creamy without giving it an eggy taste (is eggy a word?) plus a great way to add some protein.  This is my new 'go to' soup, whenever I need a quick easy meal.

Lemon-Egg Soup 
slightly adapted, originally from The Food Network



  • 1/2 C Orzo pasta (recipe calls for Pastina-but I only had orzo)
  • 6 C Water
  • 6 Bouillon Cubes
  • 3 TBSP Lemon Juice
Boil Water, Bouillon Cubes and Lemon Juice.  Add Orzo pasta and cook until done.

  •  2 Eggs
  • 2 Egg Yolks
  • 3 TBSP Lemon Juice
While Orzo is cooking  beat eggs, egg yolks and 3 tablespoons lemon juice together. Whisk in a little hot broth, then stir the mixture into the soup. Cook over low heat until thick.   I added a little pepper to mine before eating, but my husband liked his plan.

Makes 5 servings and approximately 200 calories per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment